Guide to the ATV and UTV Laws in Kansas

Continuing in our series of articles analyzing the ATV laws in every state, which stemmed from this article, we are addressing the ATV laws in Kansas in this article.  It should also be noted that, while I am an attorney, I am not your attorney and am not giving legal advice.  If you have questions, you should consult a local attorney.

This article is pretty short because there just is basically nothing out there in Kansas regulating ATV and UTVs. Below is all I could dig up.

How does Kansas Define an ATV?

Kansas defines an ATV or all-terrain vehicle as “any motorized non-highway vehicle 48 inches or less in width, having a dry weight of 1,000 pounds or less, traveling on three or more low-pressure tries, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator.”

Low-pressure tire refers to any pneumatic tire that is at least six inches wide and is designed to be used on wheels with a rim diameter of 12 inches or less, and utilizing an operating pressure of 10 pounds per square inch or less.

If you are curious about ATV size or weight, check out this guide to ATV dimensions and this guide to ATV weight.

Are you Required to Register and Title an ATV or UTV in Kansas?

Kansas treats ATVs and UTVs as motor vehicles and, as such, requires that they be registered with the Kansas Department of Revenue.

If you have not owned your ATV since June 30, 1996, you must receive a title to your ATV or UTV when you register it. You may not sell or transfer your ATV or UTV unless you have a title in your name. When you purchase an ATV or UTV, you have 30 days to apply for a title.

Can you Operate an ATV or UTV on the Streets in Kansas?

In general , you may not operate an ATV or UTV on any federal or state road in Kansas. However, you may operate an ATV or UTV on public streets of second or third class cities (cities that have under 15,000 residents), and county and township roads, during daylight hours and, if equipped with lights, during evening hours.

You may only operate an ATV or UTV on a public street if you possess a valid driver’s license. If your ATV has 3 wheels, it must be registered as a motorcycle. If it has four wheels, it must be registered as a passenger car.

Youth Regulations

Unlike basically every other state, Kansas has no youth restrictions when it comes to ATVs and UTVs. There are no age restrictions on who can operate an ATV or UTV, as long as it is not on a public roadway, which requires a driver’s license.

Equipment Requirements

  • An ATV or UTV being operated between sunset and sunrise must be equipped with at least one headlight that is located at a height of not more than fifty-four (54) inches nor less than twenty-four (24) inches.
  • An ATV or UTV being operated between sunset and sunrise must be equipped with at least one tail lamp that is located at a height of not more than seventy-two (72) nor less than fifteen (15) inches.
  • If the tail lamp doesn’t illuminate the rear registration plate in white light, you must install a separate lamp to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty (50) feet to the rear.

Taxes on ATVs and UTVs

Sales tax applies on any sale of an ATV. Unlike some states, there is no exemption for machines intended for use solely in agriculture. You are also required to pay tax on any ATV equipment and repairs.

You may qualify for a tax exemption on a UTV used solely for use in farming or ranching production so long as the UTV meets each of the following:

  • is equipped with a bed or cargo box;
  • is wider than 48 inches, but less than 135 inches;
  • has an unladen weight of more than 800 pounds;
  • has 4 or more low pressure tires;
  • has a steering wheel; and
  • has bench or bucket-type seating allowing at least two people to sit side-by-side.

To see if your UTV may fit these requirements, check out this guide to UTV dimensions and this guide to UTV weight.

Brent Huntley

Brent Huntley is the owner of ATV Man and is responsible for almost all the material on the website. He also runs and loves to travel and ride ATVs with his family. When he isn't playing, his day job consists of owning Huntley Law.

Recent Posts